Italy Kayaking Trips
Award Winning Italy Kayaking Tours
More About this Destination
Italy Kayaking Tours
We offer an unparalleled range of multiday warm water kayaking tours in Italy. You can explore the sunny Italian Riviera, paddle between the five villages of iconic Cinque Terre, glide across the surface of breathtakingly clear turquoise blue water in Sardinia, kayak the exquisitely beautiful Italian Lake District and see magical Venice from the most memorable point of view. All our Italian kayaking trips include unique regional elements, both cultural and culinary, well-planned paddling days and carefully chosen boutique accommodations. Contact us at 1-800-677-0877 for detailed information and travel advice
Reviewed in Washington Post and The Financial Review
Mirror-smooth water surrounded by soaring, snowcapped peaks provide a setting reminiscent of the Norwegian Fjords, yet with a distinctly Mediterranean culture. The Lakes have enchanted visitors since the days of the Roman Empire. Stunning scenery, a mild climate, and rich history contribute to the locale’s reputation as one of the world’s most romantic destinations. Kayaking the pristine, protected waters of the Italian Lakes district is an unforgettable experience. The paddler enjoys a unique perspective on the Lakes’ distinctive blend of dramatic scenery, fairy tale villages, and opulent lakeside villas.
• Explore three of the District’s most beautiful lakes by kayak: the low-key glamour of Lago Como, the grandeur of Lago Maggiore and the picturesque Swiss-Italian Lago Lugano?;
• Kayak to the majestic 18th-century Villa del Balbianello for a private tour of the villa and to spend time wandering the luxurious estate grounds?;
• Enjoy some of the best food and wine in all of Italy: Mediterranean cuisine infused with the pastoral specialties of the Alps and accompanied by wines of the region’s finest vineyards.
- Lago Como - Bellagio, Varenna and Villa del Balbianello
- Lago Lugano - Gandria and Morcote
- Lago Maggiore - Hermitage of Santa Caterina and the Islands of the Borromeo Gulf
Kayaking Venice and the Venice Laguna
Awarded Best Tours in Europe 2014
National Geographic Traveler Magazine's 2014 Tours of a Lifetime
Our Venice kayaking adventure combines two aspects of one of the most iconic destinations in the world. You’ll paddle winding channels of the north Venetian laguna, one of Europe’s most intact wetlands, a significant element in the African-Eurasian Flyway. Stay on the colorful island of Burano and explore the tiny communities of the northern Laguna, a favorite haunt of Ernest Hemmingway.
In Venice, waterfront rooms are your starting point to discover a hidden city that most visitors never see. Kayaking here is rated one of the best trips in Europe by National Geographic Traveler is an unrivaled journey into Venice. You’ll paddle the canals and explore the sestieri (districts), experiencing the colorful legacy of La Serinissima.
• Explore one of Europe’s most intact wetlands by kayak and observe birdlife and then discover a hidden Venice that most visitors never see;
• Discover the colorful island of Burano and dine on the freshest seafood prepared in classic Venetian style;
• Stay at boutique accommodations including waterfront rooms in a private yacht club on Isola San Giorgio Maggiore directly across from Piazza San Marco
Awarded Best Ocean Trips 2013 Outside Magazine's 2013 Travel Awards
La Riviera di Levante is one of the most magically beautiful stretches of coastline in the world. Steeped in history and set against a rough mountain background, the Riviera towns seem like a series of pastel-colored jewels set against the vivid blue of the Mediterranean and backed by rugged mountains. Kayaking the Riviera lets us observe both the subtle details and the grand vistas of this unique place and at a pace that allows us to immerse ourselves in the culture. With a focus on locally sourced Mediterranean cuisine, this trip is a feast for the senses.
• Swim in clear warm water at nearly every stop, and each afternoon finds us in a beautiful town with winding streets to wander and discoveries to make;
• Enjoy snacks of crispy, warm focaccia scented with rosemary or a frosted cup of gelato, and, at the end of a paddling day, a glass or two of chilled local white wine;
• Experience la dolce vita in this special place of warm water, sun-drenched beaches, great food, and harmony of life at the sea’s edge.
- the Porto Antico of Genoa, the medieval heart of ancient Genoa
- the one thousand-year-old Abbey of San Fruttuoso
- Cinque Terre, the five villages in Cinque Terre National Park
- Portofino Natural Park and the famous harbor of Portofino
- Portovenore, “Port of Venus”, the sixth village of Cinque Terre
Sardinia is a world apart, and our kayaking trip is a unique new way to explore this ruggedly pastoral island with a pristine landscape ringed by an exquisitely clear turquoise blue sea. An ancient land with a language and culture all its own, Sardinia has a history that goes back to before the Phoenicians. Our nine-day exploration features the best kayaking in the Mediterranean, a hike in the rugged Supramonte range, and no fewer than three UNESCO World Heritage sites. Sardinia is renowned for its food and wine, so on this trip, we enjoy primo locavore dining at Agriturismos and sample wine from the distinctive terroirs of Sardinia’s ancient Vermentino and Cannonau grape varietals.
• Paddle in crystalline blue water along the beaches, cliffs, grottos, and giant sea caves in the magnificent Gulf of Orosei;
• Explore the Islands of the La Maddalena Archipelago, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and enjoy the best kayaking in the Mediterranean;
• Journey in the heart of the rugged Supramonte range that was once
the haunt and hideout of notorious Sardinian bandits.
• “Best of the World” National – Trips to Take in 2020
National Geographic Traveler, Dec. 2019 - Jan 2020
- Kayaking the Gulf of Orosei
- Hiking the Suproamonte
- Explore Spanish Aghero
- Kayak Capo Caccia
- Paddle the La Maddalena Archipelago
Two Seas : A Kayaking Trip Through Tuscany, Umbria and Marche
Join us for a trip across the heart of Italy that links two seas, the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian. Journey through the cradle of the Renaissance, Umbria, and Tuscany. Glide through clear Adriatic waters that were once plied by Roman galleons, kayak a grand lake backed by a splendidly pastoral countryside and medieval fortresses, and explore sea caves on the Tuscan coast that rival the best adventure paddling in the world. Staying at a series of delightful agriturismos, you’ll experience a culture that is quintessentially Italian and sample a cuisine defined by spectacular local produce and wines. This trip is a journey through one of the culturally and historically rich regions in the world and is a deep dive into the sensuous pleasures of Central Italy.
• Experience a paddling trip and cultural experience that spans an entire country, sea to sea.
• Savor exceptional regional wines, some famous and others barely known outside their area of origin.
• Discover the Silver Coast of Tuscany — a part of the famous region that most visitors never see.
Sicily, the largest island in the Mediterranean, holds the ancient ruins of at least 12 civilizations and the tallest active volcano in Europe. We’ll paddle in the Ionian waters of Odysseus, Homer’s epic hero, kayak into picture-perfect villages, along fortress walls of ancient cities, and land in sandy coves as we explore Sicily’s legendary eastern coast. Ashore, we’ll immerse ourselves in the natural beauty as well as the cultural and historical highlights of Sicily, exploring ancient cities and volcanic heights. As in all our Italian trips, we’ve handpicked accommodations, dining experiences, and wine tastings that hit just the right note. Sicily is a feast for the senses, and we’ll do it in the style that we’ve brought to all of our Italian trips, one that combines memorable kayaking routes with an insider’s view of culture, cuisine, and “La Dolce Vita.”
• Explore the Sicilian Baroque masterpiece that is Noto and enjoy a glass
of the local DOC Nero d’Avola;
• Learn why Sicily is called “God’s Kitchen” and sample the exceptional range of DOP products including; lemons, blood oranges, olives, olive oil, artichokes, and pistachios as well as the robust selection of DOC wines;
• Enjoy curated paddling routes from the islands of the Cyclops to magnificent Ortigia to storied Capo Passero to Taormina’s Isola Bella.
- Catania's legendary fish market
- Ortigia and Syracuse
- Capo Passero
- the Baroque Route - Ragusa
- Mount Etna
Beautiful Tuscany is the backdrop for our newest Italian paddling trip. Known for its breathtaking landscapes, Tuscany is made all the more remarkable when explored from the sea. Join us as we kayak our way into the past and rediscover its ancient charms. Crystalline waters, spectacular cliffs, enticing beaches, and charming villages await. Our nine-day kayaking adventure promises to capture the essence of Italy while offering a one-of-a-kind perspective of what is arguably the country’s most iconic and beautiful region. As always, we’ve handpicked accommodations, dining experiences, and wine tastings that embody the richness of the Tuscan experience. Join us in the latest chapter of our love affair with the natural and cultural splendors of Italy.
• Paddle Tuscany’s little-known but spectacular and wild Maremma coast and the Archipelago Toscana;
• Explore the iconic scenery and charming villages of the Tuscan countryside;
• Visit the islands of Giglio and Elba and the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Val d’Orcia and the picture-perfect town of Pienza;
- The Maremma coast of Monte Argentario
- Isola d'Elba and Isola Giglio
- Val d'Orcia, the iconically beautiful World Heritage Site
"Travel by kayak in Italy combines ancient culture with stunning natural beauty. It is an absolute delight. “Marineria,” the life of the sea, is at the heart and soul of every village. Warm water, sun-drenched beaches, and great Mediterranean food are all part of the harmony of life at the sea’s edge. Experiencing a culture such as this by kayak allows you to enjoy its natural rhythms. When paddling, time slows down so you can savor some of the simple pleasures of Italian life?—?warm focaccia, piping hot espresso, and the ultimate mid-paddling day treat, gelato."
— Grant Thompson, Founder and Expedition Director
National Geographic Award
Tofino Expeditions was the highest rated sea kayaking adventure travel company in a National Geographic Adventure survey of international outfitters based on:
- Quality of Service
- Spirit of Adventure